Dear members and friends of the EEEI.
The Institute team joins me in offering you and your family our best wishes for happiness, health and prosperity.
These wishes are an opportunity to do a short review of the year 2013 and to present the plans and prospects for 2014 and 2015.
- Many institutional members officially joined the Institute during a beautiful ceremony at the Court of Appeal of Liège, on March 1. Some time later, the Faculty of Law of the University of Liège also joined the Institute.
- Very symbolically, the General Assembly took place in Brussels, and It ratified a very important evolution of statutes to strengthen the European dimension of the association. Meanwhile, an important role has been assigned to the Steering Committee representing institutional members. The General Assembly elected Alain Nuée, First President of the Court of Appeal of Versailles as President of the Committee. We wish him complete success in these new functions and in our upcoming projects.
- We have continued to expand the Institute with visits that included DEN BOSCH, MADRID, MILAN, VILNIUS and SOFIA. Please also note our participation in an exciting event organized by the Court of Appeal of BRESCIA.
- The CEPEJ (Commission for the Efficiency of Justice in Europe), Committee of the Council of Europe, has requested the collaboration of the Institute to help it to inventory the practices of expertise in the 47 European countries.
- Finally, on the initiative of Thomas Cassuto, National Expert with the European Commission (DG Justice), the project of publishing a book on expertise in Europe was initiated. Patricia Grandjean, President of the TGI of Quimper, has agreed to take over this project. We thank them both for their involvement, it is a guarantee of the success of our Institute’s new contribution to European expertise in the field of Justice.
- DG Justice of the European Commission has agreed to fund the project proposed by the Institute and called EGLE – European Guide for Legal Expertise, that means the creation of a European Good Practice Guide about expertise in Civil Justice, based on a European-wide consultation and the organization of a consensus conference. Subject to agreement on the financing contract, the project will run from March 1st, 2014 to December 31, 2015. This is undeniable proof of the repeated recognition of the importance of EEEI in the European Justice system.
- In 2013, DG Justice launched a comparative tool of the Justice systems in the states of the European Union, “Justice Scoreboard.” The Institute is discussing with DG Justice to include a comparative tool of civil expertise in this project.
- A meeting is scheduled in late January or early February 2014, with Mr. SANTACROCE, First President of the Italian Court of Cassation, to present the Institute’s projects. Indeed, Italy is going to take on the Presidency of the European Union on July 1st, 2014 and it seems essential that Mr. SANTACROCE be completely informed of our activities and projects. Previously, he was First President of the Court of Appeal of Rome and, as such, he signed the Act of membership of this Court to the Institute.
- Finally, the 2014 General Assembly of the Institute will be held in Versailles, Friday, May 23, 2014. Save the Date.
Through this work, the future of expertise in the field of Justice in the European Union is taking shape.
Happy New Year.
Address: Paris, France
Date: 1 January 2014